In a ceremony held remotely by video teleconference on 14 January 2021, Commander Audrius Venckunas (Lithuanian Navy) handed over the command of Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group One (SNMCMG1) to Commander Jan Wijchers (Royal Netherlands Navy).
During the seven months of Lithuanian command:
- SNMCMG1 covered almost 10,000 nautical miles.
- flew the NATO flag and contributed to constant situational awareness in the waters and ports of Northern Europe.
- executed seven mine countermeasure operations.
- found 73 historical explosives, reducing the risk for maritime activities in the Baltic and North Seas.
- participated in nine different naval exercises together with other ships of the Allied navies.
- improved interoperability with NATO and partner nations.
Moreover, during the mentioned period SNMCMG1 visited 18 ports, delivering the message of NATO unity and active presence in the region. All activities maintained a continuous pandemic-free bubble within the force, ensuring continuous availability of the NATO Force, ready for operations whenever the need arises.
Commander Jan Wijchers will command SNMCMG1 from the flagship BNS GODETIA of the Belgian Navy.
Joint Power for Europe’s Next-Generation FighterNew challenges call for new responses. When it comes to the protection of the German and European airspace, a system made up of manned and unmanned flight vehicles – dubbed the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) – is the solution. And the Next-Generation Fighter (NGF) will be an essential part of this. The NGF is expected to enter service by 2040 – powered by an engine that goes far beyond today’s capabilities.
Re-establishing Greece as the hub for inter-state contacts and defence industrial co-operation in Eastern MediterraneanPresenting land, naval, aerospace, national and cyber security defence systems, DEFEA Exhibition will welcome in Athens the world’s top defence manufacturers as well as high level governmental and military delegations, invited by the Ministry of National Defence, under the auspices of which, this important event will take place.