Iveco Defence Vehicles (IDV) marked the inauguration of its new plant in Romania on 9 April. In December 2019, the company signed an order with the Romanian Ministry of National Defence as part of a framework agreement which includes the delivery of more than 2,900 high mobility trucks. Some months later, in August 2020, the groundbreaking ceremony was held in the Romanian automotive district Petresti (Dambovita).
The pandemic has been a challenge to the entire supply chain in Europe but the company’s commitment to the Romanian Ministry of National Defence is solid. Construction works have been rapidly completed and the new assembly line, dedicated to the National Armed Forces, is now ready.
Present at the opening ceremony were:
- President of the Senate Anca Dana Dragu
- President of the Chamber of Deputies Ludovic Orban
- Minister of Energy Virgil-Daniel Popescu
- General Secretary of the Ministry of National Defence Georgeta Gavrila
- His Excellency the Ambassador of Italy Marco Giungi
According to the contract, series production of the vehicles is expected to begin shortly with an estimated productive capacity of up to 440 units per year, counting also on the production support of IDV’s Italian plants.