Schiebel’s CAMCOPTER S-100 is supporting the Icelandic Coast Guard both day and night delivering enhanced maritime situational awareness for an array of operational tasks, through a contract with the European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA), Schiebel writes in a press release.
Currently deployed from the patrol vessels ICGV THOR and FREYJA, the Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) is operated by Schiebel. The CAMCOPTER S-100 is expected to give the Icelandic Coast Guard the possibility of gaining bettercoverage of its Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
According to Schiebel, the main task is to identify vessels and activities of interest at a much greater range than normal, therebyextending the ship’s situational awareness. Activities supported include:
- fisheries inspection and control
- maritime safety
- ship and port security
- environmental protection and response
- supporting Search and Rescue (SAR) when needed
The S-100 executes these tasks equipped with:
- a Trakka TC-300 (and in future with an MX-10 Gen-4) Electro-Optical / Infra-Red (EO/IR) camera gimbal
- an Overwatch Imaging PT-8 OCEANWATCH wide area camera
- a Becker Avionics BD406 emergency beacon locator
- an Automatic Identification System receiver